Sunday, April 20, 2008

Melanie's Magnificent Work (and some suggestions)

Melanie gardened for 3 hours this week and reported:

"I reclaimed the iris/tulip garden in the parking strip farthest north of the church- for which the neighbor next door was extremely grateful. "

"Learned some of the history of the garden. Hope to get more information both from CCNS and the church archives about which trees were planted as memorials for people. Just this one garden took a lot longer than I realized because it had to be done by hand because of the delicate tulip leaves, and also to pull out the grass. I did discover a lot of stones I used as a semi border."

"I also decided to "reclaim" the flagstone holding wall between the sidewalk and garden fence (photo is the "before" picture). I was in the process of this- and almost done- when my hand shovel broke. I took that as a sign that 3 hours was enough. Just as I was leaving I saw someone had left a big shovel against the shed, so I was able to reset even the 2 large flagstones that had meandered to the straight up position (by shoveling out a lot of dirt behind them). I didn't get to the rest of the parking strip. As I was leaving I also noticed that the garden just south of the church was in need of pruning the dead branches off the perennials- it was hard to see the spring bulbs blooming underneath them."

"I hated to leave the parking strip undone, so tonight I went back, and finished trimming the garden to the south of the church entry (south of Eliot Hall), and then reclaimed the other 2 gardens in the parking strip and raked the lawn. After 2 hours, and fading sunlight I was finally done! So- aside from weeding the garden in front of the fence- the "front" is done."

"I have a neighbor who has given me a ton of different kinds of seeds, some of them 1-2 years old- when you are ready let me know and I will bring them for you to look through for the garden. The garden in front of the garden fence, by the sidewalk, would be awesome planted in flowers. I would be willing at a later date to even weed the grass out of it if someone were to donate some flats of flowers for planting. (As long as I can water the area to make the grass easier to remove)."

"I brought lawn/leaf bags and rebagged some of the ones I had done on Sunday, and used the old clear trash bags to triple bag the rest- so they should be sturdy enough."

"This time I brought a broom to sweep off the sidewalk- if anyone is going to do more gardening in front of the garden fence a broom is most helpful."

"Hopes this allows the rest of you gardeners to focus on the garden behind the fence. "

No comments: