Sunday, June 15, 2008

Drat!

Be careful when working in and around the west compost bin (next to the irises).

I am sorry to have to report that a rat has been spotted traveling between the west compost bin and the irises. Please be EXTRA careful if you work in that area. Better still - for now - just avoid that area in the garden.


If you have recommendations about how to get rid of the rat, especially an environmentally friendly, yet effective way, please let me know as soon as possible.

Garden safely.

1 comment:

Joan Gregory said...

Many comments and suggestions were received (thank you). Suggestions ranged from "let it be" to poison to traps to cats and dogs to keeping the compost pile turned. For the moment, I have turned both compost piles - not finding any tenants. I also gathered all the sticks I could find and put them between the compost pile and the irises in the hopes that this will reduce traveling between the two. We'll see, but there has been no recent sign of a rat in the area - at least not while I have been in the garden.